Bubble & Brown Casserole stoneware dish, in my favorite color purple, and felt this was a perfect time to break it in. And I knew just what to make - baked macaroni and cheese.
I don't remember where I originally found this recipe, but I have modified it over the years and find it to be fairly simple. Feel free to adjust to your likes, as it is quite forgiving:
Micky's Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- ½ lb. pasta
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. powdered mustard
- ½ Teasp. paprika
- 3 cups milk
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar (or any cheese) shredded
- 1 Teasp. salt & black pepper
- In a separate pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, mustard powder, paprika, milk. Simmer.
- Stir in ¾ of the cheese. Season with salt & pepper.
- Fold the drained pasta in the mix. Pour into casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Here is the finished product! Since my "casseround" is pretty deep, I actually doubled the recipe above. I used elbow pasta with a combination of Jarlsburg, Fontina, and a Garlic Cheddar cheese. I was worried if all the cheesy sauce would incorporate enough with the macaroni, but it worked out fine and Keith loved it! We paired it with some barbeque chicken and steamed broccoli (that Keith made when he got home from work). We had plenty of leftovers and luckily this type of dish stores well. So not too shabby for the first installment of What Micky Eats...At Home.