Tuesday, June 26, 2012

240 Union

240 Union is an upscale casual "creative grill" that offers delicious American contemporary cuisine. Located in the Denver-West Metro area, 240 Union specializes in fresh seafood, wood fired pizzas, specialty pastas, beef, pork, lamb, and chicken dishes.

This restaurant was about a block down the road from our hotel, and had gotten high reviews from others we talked to so my boss and I decided to try it one night for dinner.  Rain clouds were hovering up above, but we walked quickly and brought along an umbrella just in case.  We were immediately seated in the surprisingly loud dining room.  Even though it was elegantly decorated, the design of the room - especially the tray ceilings - somehow seemed to channel and echo the noise.  I could clearly hear the conversation of the table behind us, as if I was right there or more like as if the gentleman was yelling right at me.  The noise level took away from the overall ambience.  Supposedly, this restaurant has an excellent wine list, but being a "work night" I decided to pass.  


My boss ordered a cup of minestrone soup to start and found it to be very chunky and flavorful.  For her main dish, she chose the Grilled Pork Chop that came with a lovely pistachio crust, pinot noir plum wine sauce, and scallion risotto.  The meat was not too thick and cooked perfectly.  She especially enjoyed the dark wine sauce too.  I chose the restaurant's take on a San Francisco classic seafood stew, 240 Cioppino.  It was a very large presentation full of clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and fish chunks.  The broth itself had a little kick from red pepper flakes but tasted lovely.  I happily ate the grilled bread that came with it to sop up the extra broth.  Although a little messy, my meal was delicious and satisfying.  240 Union was a nice upscale break from the other chain dining in Lakewood, Colorado.  I wouldn't mind coming back to try some of their their other fresh seafood specials.

Total Rating: 4
Food: 4, Price: 4, Service: 4, Ambience: 3.5, Accessibility: 5

What I ate:
240 Cioppino

240 Union on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover