Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Adventures in Veganism: Day 1


As I wrote in my introduction post, I am giving veganism a try for a week.  I received my vegan starter kit from Gobble Green fully packed in dry ice, with each meal packaged individually.  Each day comes with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert and it's own set of instructions for reheating and preparation.  I sorted through and organized each day's meals using the menu provided.

For breakfast on Day 1, I ate Chickpea Breakfast Scramble.  I must admit, the picture just looked like a big yellow blob, and the vacuum sealed pouch did not add to its glamour either.  Nevertheless, if I was going to tackle this assignment, I knew I had to keep an open mind.  This breakfast is the most hearty of all the breakfasts for the week.  I heated it up in the microwave, per the instructions, and ate it before heading out to work. Normally, I eat a bowl of cereal, so this was a much more filling option with the chickpeas and brown rice.  The onion and spices really came through, a little too much for my liking to start the day.  I think it was supposed to mimic a Southwestern scrambled egg dish, and overall, it wasn't so bad.  

Lunch was something called Texas Caviar.  I've never heard of this before, but appears to be some sort of chilled black bean and chickpeas salad.  I felt a little odd cutting open another plastic pouch at my desk, but it is all a part of this adventure.  Upon opening, my nose was awakened by the smell of jalapeno and spices.  The beans themselves were whole and cooked perfectly, not too hard nor too mushy.  The Southwestern flavors carried over from breakfast.  However, I felt that this would make a better side dish than a main meal.  Also, the presentation was a lot more soupy and lacking tomatoes as shown in their picture. 

The dinner pouch was Green Beans and Tofu with Roasted Almonds, and had a lot of onion flavor (my breath was kickin' afterwards).  The green beans were waterlogged and rubbery from being frozen and the overall portion was quite small compared to the other pouches.  Again, this seemed to be more of a side dish than a complete meal.

For dessert, I ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie that looked artificial compared to their picture. It was shiny and had many more chocolate chips in it.  It reminded me of those plastic pieces of food used as toys or as "staging" items.  But I took a bite and the flavor was on par.  The consistency was a little different than a traditional cookie, but I did not mind it and it was a nice sweet ending to Day 1's vegan adventure.

What I ate:

Chickpea Breakfast Scramble
organic chickpeas, organic onion, organic mushrooms, organic bell pepper,
 organic corn, organic brown rice, organic tomatoes, organic garlic,
organic vegan margarine, nutritional yeast, tabasco, vegan spices and herbs
This is what their picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Texas Caviar
organic black beans, organic garbanzo beans, organic olive oil,
organic onions, organic jalapenos, organic peppers, vegan herbs and spices
This is what their picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Green Bean and Tofu with Roasted Almonds
organic green beans, organic onion, organic tofu,
organic almonds, olive oil, vegan herbs and spices
This is what their picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Chocolate Chip Cookie
This is what their picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Miss something? Catch up on my

Pin It button on image hover