Friday, June 8, 2012

At Home: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Keith loves Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  So I was not surprised when he sent me a link to one of the blogs he reads regularly with a post referring to easy homemade cups.  No baking required! I did some further research to track down the original recipe and have modified it a bit to make it work with the ingredients I had on hand at the time.  Check out my version of Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups in this next installment of What Micky Eats...At Home

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (adapted from Love Them Madly)
  • a mug
  • aluminum foil
  • peanut butter
  • chocolate pieces (chips, Kisses, or any left over chocolate bars)
  • water, boiling hot



- Chop up chocolate pieces, if necessary, and set aside.
- Mold a piece of foil around the top of a mug. Push the foil down about 1/4 inch and pinch along the side of the mug to form a mold. (Depending on your mug shape, I also used the bottom of the mug to make the round cup shape. I found it a big easier to create the flat bottom.)
- Carefully remove the foil mold (be sure not to rip it) and fill the mug nearly to the brim with the boiling water.
- Replace the foil and spread a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter on the foil.
- Top with chocolate pieces. Let them melt, about 3 minutes. Wait until the chocolate smudges when you nudge a chip gently with a knife.
- Swirl chocolate and peanut butter together.  Some of the chocolate will fall towards to bottom to create the chocolate shell.
- Carefully remove the molds off the mug and place in freezer for about 10 minutes, or longer.
- Peel off foil and eat immediately. Or store in zip lock bag or plastic wrap in freezer for future treats!


I had some left over chocolate candy from Easter, so just chopped those up a bit to use.  I planned to make two cups - one for me in all milk chocolate and one for Keith using milk and white chocolate pieces.  I only had about 8 Kisses, which did not provide enough chocolate in my opinion for the two cups.  I guess it depends on the chocolate to peanut butter ratio you prefer. I also used chunky peanut butter (the only kind used in our household), but creamy may work better to create a smoother consistency.  Keith liked the chunkiness and claims Reese's sold a limited edition "specialty" cup with peanut chunks in it.  A quick Google search confirmed his statement - who knew?  My homemade cups are not as perfect or pretty, but the taste is spot on! Now we can make them anytime At Home
Pin It button on image hover