Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hula Girl Truck

***Special Post by Keith***

In search of some lunchtime variety and with a craving for something vaguely Asian, I was excited to see that the Hula Girl Truck was parked outside my building today. With all the good things I have heard about this truck I should have anticipated the long line that awaited me. There were about 20 people queued up when I got there but the Hula Girls did their best to keep things moving and the Hawaiian music pumping from inside the truck helped pass the time. I would say it took about 20-25 minutes to order and get my food, which is a pretty long time but not unreasonable. Comparable to other popular trucks at least.


Since the Hula Girls don’t always make it over to these parts I decided to splurge and get the mixed sampler plate. This includes Kalua Pork, teriyaki steak and teriyaki chicken as well as the traditional mac salad and white rice. A little pricey at $12 but the food was spot on and took me right back to the hole in the wall plate lunch spots I’ve been to in Oahu. My only minor complaint was that I would prefer the steak and chicken be cut into strips rather than diced (add shortribs to the menu please!!). I also grabbed a fountain Boylan’s Black Cherry soda to accompany my meal, a nice addition that adds to the more upscale uniqueness of this truck. They have some imported bottles of Hawaiian soda as well, I didn’t catch the brand but it might be worth trying next time. This is one of the more impressive truck experiences that I have had. They go all out for authenticity, including the woodie paint job, and I would definitely return.

Total Rating: 4.08
Food: 4.5, Price: 3, Service: 4, Ambience: 4, Accessibility: 4

What Keith ate:
Hula Girl Sampler Plate Lunch
Teriyaki steak, chicken and Kalua Pork
two scoops sticky rice with mac salad


Pin It button on image hover