Olga's Golombki (Stuffed Cabbage) (Makes 6 - 8 pieces)
- 2 lbs ground meat (turkey, beef, pork, lamb, or a combo of either)
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled down
- salt & pepper
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 5 pieces of bacon
- 1 head of cabbage, boiled
- 1 large can tomato sauce* (24 oz)
- Carefully cut out the core of the cabbage and boil in large pot of water; remove the first several large leaves and set aside.
- Sauté onion until translucent. Set aside.
- Fry bacon; retain some of the grease; crumble pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix meat together with rice, onion, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- Shape meat mixture into a small football, about the size of your palm.
- Add meat mixture onto cabbage leaves; fold cabbage leave up and over - then fold the sides and roll closed.
- Line the bottom of Crock-Pot with some cabbage leaves; put the completed golombki in the pot on top of each other.
- Pour a can of tomato sauce over all of them as well as the bacon grease; sprinkle a bit of the crumbled bacon over everything.
- Put additional leaves over the top. Cover the pot and set on high for a minimum of 3 hours. Golombki will feel firm to the touch when ready.
|Remove the top layer of cabbage to reveal the golombki. Most of the bacon will have disintegrated into the sauce.|