Thursday, December 20, 2012

At Home: Chocolate Mint Snow Cap Cookies

Keith started a new job earlier this year and his office is much more festive this holiday season than mine has been.  Every week in December he has had a luncheon, potluck, or some kind of event to celebrate.  So he asked me to make cookies for him to bring into the office the last week before he took off.  I did some research and decided to try Chocolate Mint Snow Cap Cookies for my next installment of What Micky Eats...At Home.



Chocolate Mint Snow Cap Cookies (Adapted from The Nest Chapter)
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ teasp baking powder
  • 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ teasp vanilla
  • ¼ teasp mint flavoring (or a bit more if you prefer a stronger flavor)
  • powdered sugar
  • pinch of salt

- Combine flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt; set aside.
- In large glass mixing bowl, microwave 1 cup chocolate chips and butter. Make sure to check every 30 seconds to avoid burning.  Mix until smooth.
- Beat in granulated sugar until combined, then beat in eggs, vanilla and mint flavoring.
- Add in flour mixture stirring until combined. Add remaining chocolate pieces.
- Cool mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar.
- Place on a non-stick baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes on a baking sheet. Makes about 30 cookies.

I had to sample one, of course!
These cookies were fairly easy to make and I was happy to not have to use my electric mixer (Don't get me wrong - I love my Kitchenaid, but sometimes I don't want to lug the big thing out and have to clean it afterwards. So it was nice to be able to only use a simple glass mixing bowl).  The cookies came out soft and chewy on the inside with a subtle hint of peppermint - definitely not overpowering at all!  They were almost too good to give away, but 'tis the season, right? I reused a cute Santa cookie tin I had and packed these cookies for Keith to bring into work the next day along with some sugar cookies I cut into star shapes and decorated with green sugar crystals to keep with the holiday theme.  Aren't I a good wife?  


The next evening, when Keith got home from work, I eagerly asked him if anyone ate the cookies.  Did they like them? Any feedback?  He was happy to report that they were a huge success and everyone at his office was impressed.  They already put in requests to make a double batch for next year.  What are your favorite holiday cookies to make?
Pin It button on image hover