Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Greek Frozen Yogurt

***Special Post by Keith***

I had the opportunity to grab a sample of the new Ben & Jerry’s Greek Frozen Yogurt recently from their truck that has been making the rounds throughout DC. I was excited to give this new concoction a try as I am a fan of Greek yogurt (not to mention ice cream, froyo, and basically any other frozen treat). 

The truck had a substantial line but it moved pretty quick because they are not actually serving fresh ice cream, they basically give you a mini Ben & Jerry’s container with a tiny scooper included.  Picture the tiny ice cream cup they used to hand out in elementary school or summer camp (unfortunately the scooper was plastic instead of the wood one I remember from my youth). It was small, but still a good enough size for a mid-afternoon snack and to get an idea of what the new product is all about.

Two flavors were available: banana/chocolate/peanut butter and raspberry. I chose the banana flavor. It was delicious, but I was somehow still disappointed. Perhaps I just went in with the wrong expectations. I was looking for the typical tartness of Greek yogurt paired with traditional Greek flavors like honey or maybe baklava. Instead it just tastes like delicious, creamy Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.

If you are looking at this as a lower calorie substitute for regular ice cream I think you will be satisfied. If you are looking for a Ben & Jerry's Greek frozen yogurt to transport you to sunny Santorini, you may want to look elsewhere.  The Ben & Jerry's Truck will be giving out #OMGFreeBenJerrys in DC until 6/30. Tweet at them and they might come to you!



Pin It button on image hover