Friday, March 7, 2014

Sun Dial Restaurant

For amazing views of downtown Atlanta, head over to the 72nd floor of the Westin hotel and check out the Sun Dial Restaurant. Discover Chef Jason Starnes’ local, seasonal dishes and let the panoramic Atlanta skyline envelop you as you dine. With an unparalleled service in a fine-dining atmosphere, tinged with the Southern hospitality, you are sure to have a wonderful evening at the Sun Dial. Every few months, Chef Jason crafts a new menu that celebrates the season’s bounty, working with local farmers to select the perfect fruits, vegetables, grains and more that appear artfully arranged and masterfully prepared on your plate.



Photo via Sun Dial website
For my last dinner in Atlanta, I met with an old friend for dinner at the Sun Dial.  The dining room spins 360 degrees over the course of 1 hour, allowing you to see a nice view of downtown's landmarks.  Service was wonderful, with our server reciting all the ingredients and highlighting the main dishes.  I chose a vegetarian option of Braised Carrot Bourguignon.  Large pieces of carrots were braised and served with roasted mushrooms and white truffle grits, all covered in a red wine and porcini demi-glace.  The carrots were satisfying, however I could not taste any truffle flavor at all in the grits cakes.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed my dish and cleaned my plate.


For dessert, I chose the Roasted Pineapple and Carrot Cake.  A dome of cream cheese frosting with hints of basil and only a sliver of cake were on a swoop of caramel sauce.  The dish was sweet upon sweet and a little disappointing, but was plated artistically.  Overall, we had a lovely dinner.  We were not rushed at all, and had a nice time catching up.  Even though I sat backwards as the table spun around the room, it was slow enough that I did not queasy, though I would sit the other way next time.  It was cool to see the city skyline lit up at night.

Total Rating: 4
Food: 4, Price: 3, Service: 4.5, Ambience: 5, Accessibility: 5

What I ate:
Braised Carrot Bourguignon
white truffle grits, roasted mushrooms, red wine and porcini demi-glace

Roasted Pineapple and Carrot Cake
with cream cheese frosting, basil, and caramel sauce

Sun Dial on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover