Thursday, December 18, 2014

At Home: Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake

Oh, the holidays!  This time of year means parties and festivities galore, which means more opportunities for me to experiment baking...At Home.  As an edible gift for my coworkers, I made mini Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake and packaged them up individually for each person.  The chocolate and mint combination with dark chocolate fudge made a Thin Mint-brownie creation that was such a hit with everyone.

Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ teasp baking soda
  • ½ teasp salt
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1¼ cups water
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • ½ teasp peppermint extract
  • green sugar sprinkles, optional

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, sugar in the bowl of a mixer and whisk together.
- Blend in the water, oil, eggs, and peppermint extract on slow for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a cake pan (I used mini bundt pan-sized baking cups), about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the tops with the green sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.


The recipe above is for a standard 9-inch round cake, but I tripled it to make nine mini loafs to hand out.  I made just enough for the nine, and did not have any leftover for me to sample.  I know in the chef world, that is sacrelig! One must always taste ones food, especially before serving.  Alas, I figured I can't go wrong with chocolate, and luckily everyone seemed genuinely excited to try it.  I think it also helped that I packaged them up so professionally. (Not pictured, but I put each loaf in a plastic bag sealed with a twist-tie, and then added a cute label on top.)  One person opened it up right away and cut into it for a bite.  Thumbs up all around! #success

Pin It button on image hover