When thinking of an easy, cheesy, side dish to accompany a family meal of steak and scallops, I made Potatoes Au Gratin and share it here on What Micky Eats...At Home. These layered potatoes are a great alternative to regular mashed potatoes or other starchy side. Customize with your favorite kind of cheese. Get perfectly uniform sliced potatoes with a mandolin.
Potatoes Au Gratin (Serves 6)
- 3 medium size potatoes, peeled & sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teasp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teasp dried onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and blend in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Add the second layer of potatoes on top.
- Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil and continue baking uncovered for 20-30 minutes more, or until potatoes are cooked and cheese is browned and sauce is bubbly.