Monday, May 21, 2012

Koloa Shave Ice

Koloa Shave Ice is located in Old Koloa Town on Kauai and serves traditional, hand shaven shave ice.  It is tucked behind the main strip of souvenir shops, so don't overlook it.  Prices are a bit higher and the presentation a little different than I am used to from the shave ice stands I grew up with in Oahu, but this was pretty authentic and hit the spot on a hot day.

There is a little window with a large whiteboard menu next to it.  Keith and I stepped up and each ordered a "traditional" which comes with two flavor choices. I got mango and pineapple with extra Li Hing Mui powder sprinkled on top. Li Hing Mui is salted dry plum, and it can be eaten alone as a snack or gets shaven/ground down to make a powder that is often used in Hawaii as an extra sweet and tangy flavoring to candies, crackers, and on shave ice or in margaritas.  It's that salty/sweet combination that perks up the taste buds.  Keith ordered strawberry and pineapple.  After ordering, we sat at a nearby bench to enjoy our cold treats.  The ice was super finely shaven, so it melted perfectly on my tongue and the flavored syrup tasted more natural than common artificial syrups used in snow cones or other ice pops.  I wish we had another opportunity to get shave ice while we were in Hawaii, but for being our only time this visit, it was not a bad one.  I really enjoyed my treat from Koloa Shave Ice.

Total Rating: 3.6
Food: 4, Price: 3, Service: 3, Ambience: 3, Accessibility: 4

What I ate:
Mango & Pineapple
with Li Hing Mui powder

Plus Keith ate:
 Strawberry & Pineapple

Pin It button on image hover