Monday, April 15, 2013

Island Creperie

Find a little bit of France in the heart of Anna Maria Island with Island Creperie.  Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily, specialty items include buckwheat crepes, croissants, and French tartines as well as bouillabaisse and special dinners with wine pairings.  Decorated with purple walls featuring Parisian city prints and damask lamp shades, this charming bistro provides an alternative to the beach scene.

We stopped at Island Creperie for breakfast before heading to the airport. Service was incredibly friendly and we each ordered a cup of hot tea while we looked over the expansive menu of various crepe options.  With tons of savory and sweet choices, I was overwhelmed and wanted to try them all!  Luckily, I spotted a combination item called Sweet and Sour Breakfast that came with a buckwheat crepe filled with two eggs, mozzarella cheese and your choice of meat or tomatoes, plus a sweet crepe on the side.  I mistakenly thought I'd be able to choose the type of sweet crepe (chocolate, fruit filled, jam filled, etc) but instead it was just a plain crepe dusted with powdered sugar and offered with maple syrup.  The savory crepe was huge and had unique flavor from the buckwheat flour.  I chose my eggs scrambled and to have tomatoes, which was perfect with the mozzarella cheese.  Frankly, the "sour" crepe filled me up so much that I barely ate the "sweet" part of the dish, but didn't mind.  I really enjoyed my breakfast and it was perfect to fill me up before the journey home.

Keith chose the Big French Breakfast that looked like the classic European breakfast with a croissant, 2 crepes filled with strawberry jam, and a slice of French toast.  He commented that the crepes were similar to what his mother prepared for him as a child.  I took a bite of the buttery croissant and it melted in my mouth.  The French toast was made from a slice of real nice French bread and was probably the best rendition that Keith has ever had.  

I highly recommend you visit Island Creperie for authentic French pastries and crepes. The wine pairing and special dinners looked great too.  Price was fantastic - as my cup of tea was only $1.  Service was relaxed and friendly.  They could tell I was not a local, as I "got lost" looking for the restroom, but they happily pointed it out to me (it is located outside, btw).  I would definitely come back for more crepes and croissants the next time I visit Anna Maria Island.

Total Rating: 4.38
Food: 4.5, Price: 4.5, Service: 4, Ambience: 4, Accessibility: 4

What I ate:
Sweet and Sour Breakfast
a buckwheat crepe filled with two eggs, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes
plus a sweet crepe on the side
 

Plus Keith ate:
Big French Breakfast
a croissant, 2 crepes filled with strawberry jam, and French toast

Island Creperie on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover