Friday, February 14, 2014

At Home: Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Muffins

Brrrr... are you sick of the snow yet? I know I am.  This winter has been despicably frigid, and all I've wanted to do is curl up in bed with my big down comforter and a cup of hot cocoa.  But unfortunately, I've had to get out of bed each morning and schlep into work all bundled up in the below freezing temps.  When I was asked to bring in muffins to work again, for yet another going away breakfast, I decided to get creative and came up with these Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Muffins.  Check out this easy recipe on What Micky Eats...At Home.

Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Muffins (Makes 12)
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup instant cocoa powder
  • 1 teasp baking powder
  • ½ teasp baking soda
  • ½ teasp salt
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup milk
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chocolate chips


- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, milk, and oil.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add wet mix to dry ingredients, stir just to moisten.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups, fill ¾ full.
- Sprinkle tops with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until lightly browned and firm to the touch.




Follow me on Instagram
These muffins are another one bowl mixture and were super quick to whip up. The muffins tops rose nicely and had a nice mellow chocolate flavor from the hot cocoa mix.  I used less sugar, since the cocoa mix is pre-sweetened, and so the muffins themselves were pretty mild - which I thought would be perfect for the morning.  Some people don't want a big rush of sugar first thing.  If they do, then I suggest they eat a cupcake or donut instead.  My coworkers enjoyed all my Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Muffins though, and thought the chocolate chips added the right amount of sweetness.  Next time, I think I might add some mini marshmallows on top to really emulate that cup of hot cocoa.  What are your favorite muffins to make?

Pin It button on image hover