Caprese Tart (Serves 4)
- 1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (½ of 14.1-oz. pkg.)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 8 bite-sized Italian herb-marinated mozzarella balls ('Bocconcini'), sliced in half
- salt & pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Unroll pie crust onto oiled baking sheet; roll to 12-inch circle.
- Place tomato slices in a circular layer; season with basil, salt & pepper.
- Top with mozzarella pieces.
- Fold edge of pastry over tomatoes.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. (Check after 25 minutes. If the crust is becoming too brown, cover the edge loosely with foil for the remainder of the baking time.)
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into pieces. Enjoy!
This little tart was easy to make, and would be great as an appetizer for parties. You could even drizzled the top with some balsamic glaze for extra elegance. Or use different colored heirloom tomatoes for an even prettier tart. We served it just as is with some turkey meatballs and a glass of red wine for an Italian dinner at home. Delizioso!