Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Well Dressed Burrito

***Special Post by Keith***
Recently The Well Dressed Burrito invited Micky to come by and try one of their famous burritos but it's pretty tough for her to get out of work for lunch so she asked me to stop by. I've been hearing about this place for years, but somehow was never able to get there until this past Friday. Located just south of Dupont Circle in an alley off 19th St NW between M St and N St, this lunch-only Mexican spot has a rotating menu of fusion burritos and Mexican staples.


The Well Dressed Burrito pioneered the giant burrito in DC long before Chipotle showed up and they are still going strong today.   Follow the sign off 19th Street or look for your fellow lunch goers coming and going from the alley.


This tiny unassuming shop has been recently brightened up by a new mural celebrating the penguin mascot of this, and the sister restaurant CF Folks.  They commissioned a local DC-based muralist to tell their story of this hidden-in-an-alley gem.

Once I got in, I was surprised by how much seating there actually is inside. I was always under the impression that this was a take-out only place. It's not huge but there are a few tables and counter seating for about 8 people. The friendliness of the staff was also on display and you can quickly tell that they treat their many longtime customers like members of the family. If you are worried about waiting in line (though it appeared to move quick while I was there) you can also call your order in ahead.


Make sure to check out the daily specials menu before heading over. I was in on a Friday so the special burrito was the BLT which included grilled chicken breast, bacon, rice and a special sauce. As soon as I unwrapped the gleaming foil wrapper I could immediately smell the grill that the burrito was finished on. You can see the grill marks right on the tortilla that wraps this monster. The first bite revealed that the grill marks really add to the flavor and let you know this was freshly made. The burrito was packed with juicy white meat chicken and big flavorful slices of bacon. It reminded me of a nice comforting diner club sandwich and was a great change of pace if you are in the mood for something different than the typical Mexican or Tex-Mex flavors.



I was also able to sample the chicken and cheese empanada special. I liked the burrito but these empanadas were the star of my lunch. Perfectly fried and crispy, filled with huge chunks of chicken breast and covered in melted cheese, these may have been the best empanadas I've ever had. They also come with refried beans rice and pico de gallo making this a full meal and not just a snack or appetizer.

It was also recommended that I try the roasted chicken or beef dishes, but by this point I was stuffed to the brim. I'll be sure to come back to make my way down the rest of the menu. I can't believe that it's taken me this long to eat at TWDB but I certainly won't let as much time pass before my next visit.

Total Rating: 4.2
Food: 4, Price: 5, Service: 5, Ambience: 3, Accessibility: 4

Well Dressed Burrito on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover