Saturday, March 21, 2009

New Orleans Creole Café

Last date I was here: 03/20/2009

Restaurant: New Orleans Creole Café (http://www.neworleanscreolecafe.com/)

Location: San Diego, CA – Old Town

Total Rating: 4.5
Food: 5, Price: 4, Service: 4, Ambience: 4, Accessibility: 3

Summary: New Orleans Creole Café serves lunch or dinner and is located in the mystical and charming gardens of the Whaley House, San Diego's first brick mansion built in 1856. Legend has that it is one of the most haunted houses in America. Located in historic Old Town, New Orleans Creole Café offers authentic generations-old Creole dishes.

Went for dinner with some coworkers and was I pleasantly surprised. We sat in the quaint 1870's indoor dinning room, historically recreated in San Diego's 1850 American period which looks out on centuries old Pepper trees in the park setting. With wood floors, old pictures on the wall, gas lanterns, and soft Cajun xydaco music playing – the New Orleans Creole Café is a cute spot that transports you to New Orleans from the heart of San Diego. The food was delicious and made fresh in house (including the sauces) in the little kitchen next door. The atmosphere is great but I rate low on the accessibility because of the limited amount of seats (capacity is 20) and the limited days (Monday and Tuesday is lunch only - closed on Wednesdays). I tasted the jambalaya with sausage and chicken and it was nice and hot – with chunks of meat and not too spicy. My macaroni and cheese was just right. I would love to come back to this café during my next visit to San Diego. And that time, I will not pass up the red velvet cake – it looked divine!


What I ate:

Macaroni and Cheese with Andouille Sausage

New Orleans Creole Cafe on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover