Monday, February 6, 2012

At Home: Super Bowl Snacks

Did your pick win the Super Bowl?  As I mentioned before, I could care less about football but I don't mind all the food I ate last night as we watched the game on TV.  For this next installment of What Micky Eats...At Home, I want to highlight some twists on the classic Super Bowl Snacks that we made...

Keith had the creative idea to make a dish from the cities to honor the two teams competing in Super Bowl XLVI.  We did our research and came up with a few ideas.  Some recipes we stuck to and others we put our own twist on.  First, for New England we decided to make White Clam Pizza to showcase the "apizza" style renown in Connecticut (even though New England is considered a Boston team - we took liberties with the "New England" theme, m'kay?)  Get the recipe here.

Pin It

For New York, we settled on Turkey Meatball Sliders.  Keith makes these delicious Micky-friendly balls from scratch and allowed me to share the recipe with you all.  Keep in mind that Keith is liberal with the measurements and usually just goes by his eye.  Get the recipe here.


We decided to make sliders to go with our Super Bowl snack theme and served with Caprese Antipasticks.


In addition, we made Pigs In a Blanket using Nathan's hot dogs to further represent New York.  Nathan's were founded by a Polish immigrant and were made famous in Coney Island, NY.  They carry a reputation of being the highest quality hot dog and are host to an annual hot dog eating contest I'm sure you've heard about. (Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas is my hero!)  Keith substituted turkey dogs for me and simply served with mustard.


Finally as a nod to both teams, I made Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes for dessert.  Blueberries are locally grown in New England and cheesecake is a popular treat from New York. So why not combine the two for our game day dessert? Genius, I know!  I amended my recipe from when I first posted it for the preview.  Get the recipe here.


How did your game day menu turn out? Please share!  Oh, and what did you think about Madonna's performance?  I really liked the costumes and choreography.  They edited the overall show well to work in the other guest performers, however I wish they would have lip synced a little less.  Not as spectacular as past half-time shows, but I still enjoyed it.  Congrats to the New York Giants - Super Bowl XLVI Champions!

Pin It button on image hover