Saturday, June 9, 2012

Shilla Bakery

Shilla Bakery provides fresh and gourmet pastries, bread, cakes, cookies, bubble tea drinks and other goodies. There are several locations of this casual Korean bakery and cafe in the DMV area. I first visited the one in Annandale (aka Koreatown) with my mother.


  

March 2012: As soon as you step inside, there are racks of packaged treats taunting you.  The counter is filled with beautiful cakes and danishes, each looking like a piece of art that is too delectable to eat.  I am mesmerized by the variety and plethora of choices.  Cookies and macarons are also displayed in their own case, arranged by color.  Complimentary samples of pretty much each item are available, so I kept trying each cake and danish that caught my eye.  Prices range from $0.95 - $5.95, depending on the item. Certainly affordable enough for me to pick out a couple items to bring home.  A few cafe tables are available on the side for customers to sit while drinking coffee and eating their treats.  It was a bit crowded inside, so we just got a drink - cappuccino for my mother and mango boba for me - to go along with our goodies to take home.


June 2012:  I recently returned to Shilla Bakery, this time taking Keith to experience it for himself.  We enjoyed walking around and checking out each pastry and bread available and trying the samples.  We picked up a few more treats and also decided to try one of the bing soo desserts. It is like Korean shave ice sundae mixed with fruit, red sweet beans, and/or ice cream.  At around $6.50 each, it comes in a large bowl enough for 2-4 people to share.  Keith and I decided on the Fruit Bing Soo that came with mixed fruit including watermelon, kiwi, banana, strawberry, and pineapple with mochi pieces and topped with sweetened condensed milk.  We mixed it all together and enjoyed our cold treat, perfect on this hot summer day.  Next time, I would like to try the more traditional version with frozen yogurt and the red sweet beans. I am sure next time I visit my mother, she would like to share one with me.

Total Rating: 3.8
Food: 4, Price: 4, Service: 3, Ambience: 3, Accessibility: 4

What I ate:
Pineapple Pound Cake

Strawberry Cream Filled Danish

Mango Boba


Chocolate Cream Filled Danish


Fruit Bing Soo

 Shilla Bakery on Urbanspoon
Pin It button on image hover