Wednesday, April 4, 2012

At Home: Lemon Bars

With Easter approaching, I was thinking of an easy "Spring-time" dessert to make.  Looking at the ingredients I had on had, I thought I would make Lemon Bars as my next feature of What Micky Eats...At Home.  I have made these a couple times before and most recently for a charity bake sale at work.  They were a huge hit and several people came up to me afterwards commenting on how much they loved my interpretation.


Micky's Lemon Bars
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 5/8 cup lemon juice
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup confectioner sugar
  • 1 teasp baking powder

- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13" pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir 2 cups flour and confectioner sugar.
- Blend in melted butter. Press mixture into bottom of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Let rest.
- In large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine sugar, baking powder, ¼ cup flour.
- Stir mixture into eggs. Stir until NO lumps. Stir in lemon juice. Mixture should be frothy.
- Pour all over crust and return to oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes until set. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Dust with confectioner sugar. (makes about 16 bars)


This is such an easy dessert to make and the bright, tart, citrus flavor of the lemon reminds me of Spring. Substitute with lime juice or combine the two for a nice twist (which is the secret trick I did for my recent work bake sale that had everyone raving!). If I don't have any fresh lemons, I have even used lemonade for a softer, sweeter lemony flavor - just add less sugar to the filling. Great dessert for Easter, potlucks, and bake sales. Enjoy!
Pin It button on image hover