Thursday, June 28, 2012

Adventures in Veganism: Day 3


With a disenchanting Day 2 behind me, I had positive thoughts going into Day 3.  I wanted to be a good sport about this vegan adventure I committed to.  No giving up just yet!

For breakfast on Day 3, I ate an Apple Carrot Muffin.  It was a much darker brown color than the package's picture and still a bit dense in the middle. But the smell of familiar fall spices that I love about carrot cake were present.  The taste wasn't so bad either, albeit hard to get down with the heaviness of the cake.

Lunch was an Asian Vegetable Salad that looked very similar to the original picture with bright orange shreds of carrot, although a bit more soupy.  It was meant to be eaten chilled or at room temperature, so was a lighter dish that reminded me of an Asian cole slaw.  The peanut butter sauce was subtle next to the vinegar.  But the flavors were not too bad and I managed to eat the whole thing.

Continuing with the Asian theme, I ate more cabbage for dinner with the Sauteed Cabbage with Tofu and Raisins. It was a bigger portion than the other meals so far, with lots of tofu chunks.  The vinegar and soy sauce really permeated the tofu and vegetables giving off a sour smell, but the flavor wasn't so bad.  I was also pretty hungry so ate every bit of this dish.

Dessert was a Snickerdoodle Cookie that was much bigger than the other cookies I tried and looked very different from the picture.  It looked to be covered in cinnamon, though not listed as one of the ingredients. Sure enough it was very cinnamony and reminded me of a churro.  It was incredibly hard and I wondered if heating it up would soften it any, although I did not try. Nevertheless, the cookie had nice flavor and was a nice ending to Day 3's vegan adventure.


What I ate:

Apple Carrot Muffin
organic flour, organic applesauce, organic sugar, organic carrots, vegetable oil,
baking powder, baking soda, organic apple, vegan herbs and spices
This is what the picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Asian Vegetable Salad
organic cabbage, organic carrots, organic soy protein, organic onions,
organic cilantro, organic brown sugar, organic sesame oil,
organic peanut butter, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar
This is what the picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Sauteed Cabbage with Tofu and Raisins
Organic cabbage, organic tofu, organic broccoli, organic raisins,
organic almonds, organic onion, organic vegetable broth, vinegar,
soy sauce, vegan sugar, vegan butter, olive oil, vegan herbs and spices
This is what the picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Snickerdoodle Cookie
This is what the picture looked like:

This is what mine actually looked like:

Miss something? Catch up on my

Pin It button on image hover