Friday, October 5, 2012

At Home: Apple Cobbler

This next installment of What Micky Eats...At Home features one of my classic go-to desserts.  I have made this cobbler multiple times for family functions and it is Keith's favorite dessert.  Right now is apple season, so I knew it was the perfect time to make my Apple Cobbler.  I have also substituted apples for other seasonal fruit such as peaches or blackberries.  The below recipe makes six servings.

Micky's Apple Cobbler
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ teasp cinnamon*
  • ½ cup melted butter (1 stick)
  • 3 - 4 medium apples, peeled, cubed
  • ½ package pie crust


- Preheat oven to 400 and peel and cube apples.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon & melted butter.
- Gently stir in apples. Spread mixture into a slightly greased glass baking dish.
- Cut pie crust into strips & arrange on apples. Use extra crust pieces to cut mini heart shapes and place on top of holes.
- (Optional: Mix 1 egg white & water. Brush onto pie crust. Sprinkle with sugar for extra pretty crust).
- Bake for 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown & apple mixture is bubbly.
- Serve best warm with vanilla ice cream.

*Do not include cinnamon if using other fruit besides apples. Instead, a dash of vanilla extract may be added for extra sweetness, especially when using peaches as sometimes they can be on the tart side.
Apples take over Eastern Market - September 2012
The elusive Honeycrisp.
A recent funny story that relates to this is when I wanted to make my apple cobbler last Fall at my in-laws house.  I asked them to pick up some apples and pie crust for me at the store, and noted that I would bring the rest of the ingredients.  I did not specify the type of apple, as any kind will do really.  But Keith later asked them for Honeycrisp apples.  Honeycrisp are not available year-round, usually prominent in September/October.  It is known for its sweetness, firmness, and tartness which make it an ideal apple for eating raw.  We first discovered Honeycrisp while sampling apples at Eastern Market.  Long story short, his parents were unfamiliar with this type of apple and searched high and low for this "special Honeycrisp apple" and managed to locate a case at Costco. I felt bad that they bought so many, when the recipe only calls for 4.  Nevertheless, the cobbler came out delicious and all enjoyed it. But it is just funny how from now on, Keith's dad will insist we get the "special apple" to make this cobbler.




Pin It button on image hover