Monday, February 3, 2014

At Home: Super Bowl Snacks

Did you root for Seattle or Denver in this year's Super Bowl? I enjoyed all the food we ate while watching the game on TV last night. For this next installment of What Micky Eats...At Home, I want to highlight some twists on the classic Super Bowl Snacks that we made...

Just like we've done in previous years (2012 & 2013), Keith had the creative idea to make a dish from the cities to honor the two teams competing in Super Bowl XLVIII.  We did our research and I must say it was a little tough this year.  But we put our own twist on the recipes we found, and everything still came out great for our football meal.

We have visited Denver before and enjoyed their "western frontier" take on beef and farm products.  Keith decided to make Bison Sliders with Bacon & Onion Straws to represent the city for our Super Bowl menu.  Along side the sliders, he drank a Colorado beer called Shift Pale Lager from New Belgium (the same company that makes Fat Tire). Get the recipe here.


I also read that Denver is known for their macaroni & cheese. Interesting and fitting since I LOVE mac & cheese. I mean, who doesn't, right?  So I put a new spin on my mac & cheese recipe that was perfect for football watching, and made Buffalo Chicken Macaroni & Cheese.  Get the recipe here.


Seattle is known for fresh fish like haddock and salmon.  The city is also heavily populated by Asian communities.  We have never visited the city properly, but only had a layover at the airport where we grabbed lunch.  Keith ate some decent fish tacos.  So I was creative and combined the three ideas to make Teriyaki Salmon TacosGet the recipe here.


For dessert I decided to focus on blackberries, which grow wild all over Seattle.  Blackberries were enjoyed by the ancient Greeks, who believed them to be a cure for diseases of the mouth and throat, as well as a preventative against many ailments, including gout.  High in anti-oxidants and low in calories, blackberries are one of my favorite fruits.  To show off their gorgeous deep purple color, I made Blackberry Pie Bars.  Get the recipe here.


From Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers to the crushing win by Seattle, I enjoyed the evening.  Congrats to the Seattle Seahawks - Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!  I am a USC alumna, so I was rooting for Pete Carroll and the Seahawks and was happy to see them win.  How did your game day menu turn out? Please share in the comments section below.
Pin It button on image hover