Friday, July 20, 2012

Adventures in Veganism: Conclusion

I survived all seven days of vegan meals.  The food was a mix of fresh ingredients that left me feeling light throughout the day, to odd frozen or canned ingredients with sour tastes that made me want to throw out the entire thing.  A roller coaster is the only way I know how to describe the experiment. There were good and bad days. The pros of my experience with the Gobble Green Vegan Starter Kit include a nice international variety, four different pouches each day, and a general feeling of eating healthy.  Some of the dishes were decent, while others were disappointing and made me regret spending my money on. The stand outs included Asian Vegetable Salad and Sauteed Cabbage with Tofu.   

The major cons of the adventure included inconsistent portion sizes, some freezer burn on items, dull flavor even though most items were packed with "spices", and the kit itself is a bit on the pricey side compared to other meal plans. The disappointing meals included: Blueberry Muffin, Vegetable Paella with "Chicken", and Macaroni & "Cheese".   I suppose, you could pick those items that interest you most a la cart as opposed to getting a preset meal kit.  In the end, do I have "Vegan Powers" like Evil Ex #3, Todd Ingram? Not quite - but whenever I see that scene from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, I crack up. View the clip below:


After this week long experiment, I will not be turning vegan permanently.  Like Todd, I feel chicken parmesan is too delicious to give up!  Thus, my hair will deflate (not because of this DC humidity, but because I no longer have Vegan Powers - follow along, m'kay?) and I will no longer be able to stop punches with glowing green light. Oh well, I think I can live with that.

If any of the vegan meals looked good to you, check out Gobble Green. As I mentioned before, all of their gourmet meals are made without any animal products or byproducts, and they are delivered easily to your home. They also offer gluten-free options.  Additionally, the Going Out Gurus just posted a round-up of the best DC vegetarian and vegan eats.  The pan-seared tofu looks intriguing and I must try the vegan carrot cake cupcake.  This vegan adventure was interesting and I am curious to see what other gastronomical experiments await me in the future.  I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Miss something? Catch up on my

Pin It button on image hover